Residents of 27, Mabel Street, off Etete Road in Benin City, experienced a cold Christmas as family of three lost their lives to an early morning fire which destroyed their building.
Mr. Egberamwen Nosakhare the landlord of the house said the fire started at about 2.am in the morning of Christmas, when he observed smoke puffing out one of the tenants room.
He forced the door opened and saw flames of fire from the gas cooker and there was nothing he could do as he was helpless and could not go in.
The family of three, man,wife and baby died in the fire as they were inside the house when the fire started.
A neighbor and tenant, Mrs. Osayande said she ran into her room to pick up her child and made an escape through the back door.
Reports says that the victim just returned from outstation to celebrate Christmas with his wife and child when this unfortunate incident occurred.
He was a hardworking humble and nice man and is a pity this incident happened on Christmas day.