We all have different skin tones. The melanin on our skin comes in different types and amounts. Knowing your particular skin tone is one step towards selecting the perfect hair color for you. Choosing a hair color can be very tricky, and it’s important that you pick the right one. You don’t want your hair to leave your beautiful or handsome face looking dull or older. Don’t know how? Here’s how:
Find your skin tone
First of all, find your skin tone. There are two skin tones: warm and cool. Use natural light to check what color your undertone is. Cool skin tones have blue veins or pink undertones. Warm skin tones have green veins and peach or gold undertones. It can be difficult for some to determine what color their undertones are, but not to worry. What color looks better on you: silver or gold? gold looks better on warm skin tones and silver on cold skin tones. In the same way, black complements cool skin tones, while brown looks better on warm skin tones. Think about what color clothing looks best against your skin. Stand in front of a mirror and hold various colored shirts near your face. A cool tone hair color is right good for you if you find shades of blue, green or purple are the most flattering. A warm tone hair color is your best choice if your skin looks good against shades of red, orange or yellow.
Find your complexion
Now that you’ve figured out what skin tone you are, move on to the next step: finding your skin complexion. Are you on the light or dark side? People with cool skin tones have two types of complexions: light and medium/dark. Same goes for those with warm skin tones. Light cools have beige skin and are very fair in complexion. The recommended hair colors for this complexion are lighter colors like light brown, platinum blond or white blond.
Find the hair color for your skin tone
Choose a hair color based on your skin tone. Black, ash blondes, ash browns and platinum blondes generally look good on cool skin tones. Golden brown, golden blonde and warm reds typically look good on warm skin tones.
Other tips for choosing hair color for your skin tone
- Choose a hair color that is the opposite of your skin. Warm skin tones look better with hair in cool colors, and vice versa.
- There are always exceptions to hair coloring rules. Some people are lucky and look good in both warm and cool hair color shades. Try on a wig to see how the color will look against your skin if you want to try a color shade that is opposite of your skin tone.
- If you have a pale complexion, create contrast by choosing a natural-looking, red color for your mane. Warm copper, cinnamon browns, and strawberry blond hair also do wonders in adding color to pale skin tones. Avoid black or very dark hair colors if you are extremely pale; otherwise, you’ll end up looking paler and older than you really are. Browner skin complexions can wear any hair color, from dark brown to reddish hair, and dark hair best complements your skin. Don’t use blond or too light hair though. You may have been born with black hair but you can dye your hair to a lighter shade of hair or use hair with honey-colored, purple, blue or red highlights to your dark hair. If your complexion looks reddish, contrast that with light-brown hair with honey-colored highlights, and avoid too bright hair.
- Only go one or two shades lighter or darker when putting highlights in your hair.
- The best time to dye your hair is before washing it because your hair has natural oils that will protect it from harmful ingredients contained in the product.
- Keep in mind that hair color can darken or hide gray hairs only for a certain amount of time. The hair’s natural color will eventually appear as new strands grow.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment in your desire to find the right hair color that best suits your skin tone.
- Don’t fix a color mistake by using another box of different hair color. Wash the hair two to three consecutive times with clarifying shampoo. If the mistake is too big to handle, see a hair expert.
- It is definitely important to first determine your skin tone and complexion before you can choose the right hair color to flatter your looks. Once you are able to find the perfect hair color that matches your skin tone, you’ll be amazed at the great difference it makes in brightening your features and giving you that stunning appearance you’ve always wanted for yourself.